Every medicine that was created throughout history has one purpose only – to help people healthwise. And today, we have sleeping pills because they are a necessity. One of the common brands used is zopiclone, which is used by people who have severe to mild sleeping disorders.
The first sleeping pills were exclusively made and could be only purchased with a prescription from a doctor. But, in today’s modern world, things are changing rapidly because there are a variety of brands that have emerged on the market which allow people to purchase them without a prescription.
The herbal treatment is used mostly for mild sleeping disorders. It is important to also understand that some sleeping pills that are freely sold are based on herbs. So, today, we will describe in details what zopiclone tablets are, how they work, what they are made of, what they are used for, and if they are safe to take, which will also include a section of side effects.
What is zopiclone?
Zopiclone has two additional names that it is known for. The brand names are Zimovane and Imovane. These pills are classified as cyclopyrrolones. Because they are sedating, they are marketed as sleeping pills.
How does it work?
According to Wikipedia and Netdoctor, these sleeping pills boost a chemical, located in the brain, that is called Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA). So, what exactly is GABA? This is a neurotransmitter which acts as a natural “nerve-calming” agent. It is the chemical that keeps the nerve activity in the brain in harmonious balance. But it is also involved in reducing anxiety, inducing sleepiness, and relaxing the muscles.
When taking zopiclone, the time to fall asleep is significantly reduced as well as the number of times you wake up during the night. And, these tablets also increase the number of hours you sleep at night.
What are they made of?
According to Wikipedia and MyDr, these sleeping pills contain quite a few ingredients:
- Lactose which is the sugar found in milk and other dairy products
- Maize starch is also known as corn starch, cornflour, cornstarch or simply maize. It comes from corn – the grain. It is mainly used for cooking, but it has more than one purpose; maize is used for certain illnesses, medical therapy, and as a chemical additive for certain products. So this is a very harmless ingredient that the sleeping tablets have.
- Sodium starch glycollate type A is a white or almost white powder which has the following ingredients when looked under a microscope: granules which have eccentric hilum and concentric striations.
- Povidone is also a white or off-white powder in its original form. It is used in medicine as a synthetic for suspending and dispersing drugs, and sometimes, it also acts as a tablet binder.
- Calcium hydrogen phosphate is known to be an excellent source of calcium and phosphorus. It is prescribed for women during pregnancy, to people who have mild or moderate hypocalcemia which is characterized by a low degree of tetany, and it is also prescribed for lactation. These are just some uses, but there are more.
- Magnesium stearate is produced by the reaction of sodium stearate with magnesium salts or magnesium oxide with stearic acid. It is often used as an anti-adherent, medical tablets, capsules, powders, baby formulas, in hard candies, such as mint, to bind sugar.
- Colloidal anhydrous silica – this is another powder. It is light in weight, fine and white in color, and its size is about 15nm. It is used in food, structural materials, pharmaceutical industries and microelectronics.
- Titanium dioxide is also known as titania, titanium (IV) oxide. It can be used as a pigment, and it is called Pigment White 6 (PW6), titanium white or CI 77891. Titanium dioxide comes from rutile, anatase, and ilmenite. It is commonly used for food coloring, sunscreen, paint, toothpaste, paper, plastic, printing inks, fibers, cosmetic products, foodstuffs, technical pure titanium, glass and glass ceramics, electric conductors, chemical intermediates and more.
- Purified talc derives from deposits. Because the deposits are known to contain asbestos, they are not suitable for pharmaceutical use, unless, the manufacturer approves that it is by performing tests for amphiboles and serpentines. These two tests, when done, provide the satisfactory results that the product is free from asbestos; thus, it is safe to use in pharmaceutical practices as well.
- Hypromellose is a solid and off-white to beige powder. It is known that its use is widely spread as it can be found in pharmaceutical use, food, tile adhesives, cosmetics, paints and coatings, eye drops, contact lenses, cement renders, detergents and cleaners, and gypsum products. Once again, tests have to be done for a proper use!
- Macrogol 6000 – this is a waxy solid substance. But, there are more forms depending on the mg. So the macrogol 6000 is ideal for base material in suppositories, ointments, tablet binders, coating agents. It is also used as laxatives, to treat constipation problems in both children and adults. Macrogol is also in biopharmaceutical drugs. According to Wikipedia, macrogol slows down the degradation in the human body and increases the duration of action. But that is not all, it is also used to reduce immunogenicity. Immunogenicity means to provoke an immune response in the human body or animal.
These sleeping pills also include myorelaxant, anxiolytic, hypnotic and anticonvulsant properties that help the body relax to the point that a person with such problems can get a good night of sleep.
What are they used for?
Zopiclone tablets are used for people who are in the categories listed below:
- insomnia (for adults)
- difficulty falling asleep
- waking up in the middle of the night (one time or more)
- waking up early in the morning
- people who experience severe distress due to the lack of sleep
- some psychiatric disorders that also prevent people from proper sleep
When such problems occur, it is best to purchase zopiclone the next day in order to start sleeping normally.
|Caution! Zopiclone should not be used more than 2 to 4 weeks at a time.
You must ask your doctor about this medicine and why it was prescribed to you, as it can be used for other reasons.
Are they safe to take?
The zopiclone tablets are safe to take, although they do have side effects. Bear in mind that all pills have side effects, no matter what they are prescribed for. And usually, side effects appear only to a certain amount of people. In other words, not every person experiences the side effects. So, below is a list of side effects that have been reported by some patients who have taken zopiclone.
Less common side effects:
|• appetite changes
• agitation (common for seniors)
• increased sweating (common for seniors)
• increase in the amount of saliva (common for seniors)
• vomiting (common for seniors)
• difficulty speaking
• upset stomach
• fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat (common for seniors)
• weight loss
|• feeling that legs and arms are heavy
• bitter taste in the mouth
• decreased muscle tone
• dry mouth
• prickly sensation, burning, or tingling
• trembling and shaking of arms, feet, finger, legs (common for seniors)
• impaired vision
Report side effects if not listed!
IMPORTANT: Do not drink any alcohol when taking zopiclone tablets as you can increase the risk of sleepwalking, eating, or even driving while you are asleep. These risks can also occur if you take more than the dose recommended!!!
And below is a youtube video that will help you better understand the importance of sleeping pills. The video is done in The Early Show with Emily Senay, M.D.
Make sure you stop the medication right away and call your doctor if you experience any of the serious side effects listed below:
- swelling of the lips, face, or throat which may give you trouble breathing or swallowing
In case you have trouble breathing because of swelling, go to the nearest emergency room or hospital!
Although these side effects are extremely rare, it is important to keep them in mind and take the necessary action when or if they happen!
Do not take this medication if you have any of the following health problems:
- if you have sleep apnea
- if you are allergic to zopiclone of any of the ingredients this medication has
- if you have severe breathing problems or difficulties
- if you have myasthenia gravis
- if you have severe liver disease
Although all medications are given to improve people’s health, there is always a risk when it comes to side effects. That is why it is of vital importance to consult with your doctor regarding other medications you are taking!
If your doctor has prescribed zopiclone, he or she must and probably is aware if you have any other health issues or take other medications. And if that is the case with you, there is nothing to fear or even worry about!
The zopiclone tablets 7.5 mg come in variety:
- 10 tablets
- 50 tablets
- 100 tablets
Stay tuned for the next blog, which will go into detail about who should and who should not take these sleeping pills as well as the reasons behind it. Meanwhile, make sure you order zopiclone online, and start sleeping better soon!